Friday, March 23, 2012

Feed Me Friday: Snakes in Red Sauce

Sometimes I just want to cook from a jar.  But at least I go for several jars when this mood strikes so that I feel like a little bit of culinary flair has gone into it.

You will notice that this recipe isn't anything new, it appears in almost every recipe book I own and you would perhaps make it at home too.  A word of warning, this recipe does contain hairy fish but it is so worth eating it despite their look, smell and reputation!  So here is my version.

First up, what's with the name I hear you ask?!  Spaghetti Puttanesca is apparently translated as a pasta a whore would make.  Perhaps due to the original having chilli in it (mine doesn't as I make it for the kids) or because it is a little cheap and nasty with the ingredients coming mainly from jars . . . or perhaps because it is quick and can be made and eaten between tricks . . . who knows, it just wasn't the right name for it my house.

Without asking, my 3.5 year old Liam, decided to call it "Snakes in Red Sauce".  Still sounds a little wicked . . . suits us fine!




2-3 cloves garlic (to taste really), finely chopped
fresh oregano, finely chopped (or dry or not)
2-3 large spoons of spanish olives, roughly chopped
1 Tbl capers, rinsed and finely chopped
2-3 anchovies, roughly chopped (to taste - don't worry about finely chopping as anchovies tend to melt into the sauce)
3 Tbl tomato paste
1 can tinned tomatoes
pasta of choice

Take the garlic, oregano, olives, capers and anchovies and gently saute them in olive oil.  Add the tomato paste and cook for at least 30 seconds before adding the tinned tomatoes.  Keep the heat med-low and put the lid on. 

Meanwhile, sort out your pasta according the packet instructions or your awesome cooking instinct.  Our family are die-hard fans of angel hair pasta, but one of our boys has an intolerance to wheat now so we have switched to glass noodles aka bean thread vermicilli with amazing success.

For normal pasta, save a little of the cooking water and stir it through the sauce to liven it up.

And you know what to do from here.  Mix and serve etc


I kid you not, this gets eaten every week.  Not because of the jar compulsion, but because it gets requested by the little people more often than it is supplied.

Nom nom nom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey thanks for popping by! I read all your comments and really try and get to your blog too. Despite my good intentions, I don't always reply to each message but I am very grateful for the time you take in sharing your thoughts with me. Word verification is back up because I am getting spammed big time. So thanks for taking that extra step in commenting. Blessings, Fi xxxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...