Friday, April 13, 2012

Feed Me Friday :: Honey Cakes


This is more for Valentine's Day than Black Friday but I'm not superstitious!

Since the discovery that wheat doesn't treat Liam very nicely, I've been on the scrounge for good alternatives.

Here is a deadset awesome place to find gluten-free baking recipes.  In fact, the two different flour mixes I use came from this great blog.

Yes, I need to work on my labelling.  Not very appealing!
These are the combos I make from Shauna's list:

For cakey baking I like this version:

200g almond meal
250g brown rice flour
250g buckwheat flour
150g tapioca flour
150g potato starch

And for non-cakey type of baking or for when I want to send Liam with some homebaking to his kindy I make this nut-free combo:

250g brown rice flour
250g buckwheat flour
200g maize flour
150g tapioca flour
150g potato starch

Even though Liam has no problem with gluten, it is just easy to go gluten-free to avoid the wheat.  And yes, I could just buy the gluten-free flour from the supermarket, but I like the idea of introducing other grains into my family's diet and these wholegrain flours are delightfully light!

But I didn't come to rave about gluten/wheat-free today.  I wanted to share with you a recipe I adapted from Stephanie Alexander using the gluten free flour above.  All my fellas love these and guests usually come back for seconds.  So I had to share it with you.




2/3 cup plain flour (gf mix containing almond meal)
1 tsp baking powder
90g salted butter plus a smidge more for greasing your pan
1 Tbl honey
2 eggs
1/4 cup caster sugar (vanilla is nice or just add a dash of extract to mix)
1 Tbl dark brown sugar

Preheat oven 180C (mine is fan forced so conventional may be 195C).

Gently melt the butter and honey over low heat in a small saucepan.  Stir and set aside to cool a little.

With an electric mixer combine eggs and sugar.  Pour in the butter and honey mixture and whizz to combine.  Add sifted flour and baking powder and whizz again.  Note: if you are using normal plain flour, just use a wooden spoon at this point as you don't want to get the gluten going, it will stiffen your cake mix.  Combine until you get a lovely smooth batter.  If you have used normal flour, best to let the batter rest 15-20 mins.  I find with gluten free flour, the resting doesn't achieve much so I don't bother.



Brush your pans with melted butter (my pans are from Aldi- so so sweet!), then dust lightly with flour.

Pour your batter in til two-thirds full.

Bake for 10 mins or until you know what - be careful not to leave too long as they can dry out quickly if you make them in a small or shallow shape.  I also make these in my madeleine tin.  Allow to cool in pan for a minute before turning out on wire rack.



They keep well in the fridge or freezer.  Just reheat a little in microwave to bring its moistness back.  But thanks to my friend Nooch, I now give them a light spritz with lemon juice to revive them.  Delish.

Do you have a great baking recipe that is adapted for wheat/gluten-free?  Please share and link.  I'd be ever so grateful! xx

1 comment:

  1. Go you with your recipe adaptations :)
    It's always handy having some allergy free recipes on hand and these look delicious.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Hey thanks for popping by! I read all your comments and really try and get to your blog too. Despite my good intentions, I don't always reply to each message but I am very grateful for the time you take in sharing your thoughts with me. Word verification is back up because I am getting spammed big time. So thanks for taking that extra step in commenting. Blessings, Fi xxxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...